Thursday, November 21, 2013

Well, lets just get this first post out of the way!

My name is Joseph Wheeler and I am the new curator at the Museum of Culture and Industry in Bourne, Massachusetts. There is a lot of history in this area- we have a great little town, a lot of history, a beautiful bay (bearing the wonderful name of Buzzards Bay. If I tell people 'Bourne, MA they have no idea where the town is. Once I say Buzzard Bay, though- everyone has heard of it!) I have a PhD from Miskatonic University in Comparative Mythology.  I do a lot of research on cave art. Early man had the most amazing ways of conveying information! That's where my focus lies- what are these pictures trying to say to us? Warn us of? What can this spiritual art tell us about our ancestors  deepest beliefs, hopes and fears?

As for my wonderful new job, a week ago I started as the curator of the amazing Museum of Culture and Industry. There has not been much stability among the research staff here, so my first week has been learning my way through the labrynth of records and object left behind by 200 years of predecessors.

This blog is going to be about the museum, all the great things I come across in the storage rooms and ideas for getting the community energized and engaged with their museum. After all, this museum is built by their ancestors as a way to preserve the special charm of the area.

So, lets go digging through some old cabinets!

No comments:

Post a Comment